7.6.05

Movies

None of the movies I'm going to talk about are Star Wars III for two reasons. One, it would take up way too much of my time to do a complete review on Star Wars (which I would like to do...maybe later), and Two, because everybody else in America (almost everybody) is doing or has done the same thing. I'm actually going to talk about three "older" movies: I, Robot; White Noise; and Constantine.

First: I, Robot (it's still freshest in my mind).

I thought this movie was pretty good: had wonderful, life-like CG, great action scenes, good plot, pretty good script (they actually made fun of a smart person without insulting those who don't have a larger vocabulary...i.e., when a smart character uses big words and then someone doesn't understand and the words really aren't "big"...the big words of Doctor Calvin in this movie were truly, big), it had Will Smith in it (big plus!), it had awesome cinematography, and it came off with showing how bad A.I. could get if it was given enough power. And although some the stuff about the "ghost in the machine" may or may not be true, such as the random bits of code some how evolving into a soul, the movie portrayed robots in (interestingly enough) a sympathetic but not sympathetic light.
The story "revolves" around homicide Detective Del Spooner and a case of an alleged suicide of one of the founders, and creator, of U.S. Robotics. The Doctor leaves him clues, or "bread-crumbs", and a unique robot called Sonny to help him solve the mystery that has been left for only Spooner to solve. Along the way he makes a friend, Doctor Calvin, and together, with Sonny, they solve the mystery. What is the mystery? Watch the movie.
Sonny is a unique robot because the doctor has created him with an ability to override the Three Laws and commands that are given to him; he is also given emotions, which at times makes you feel sympathetic for him (I did anyhow). But then you're constantly reminded that robots are just emotionless pieces of machinery, which is completely true. Robots are void of a soul, which makes them emotionless and unable to make decisions based on morals or principles; they make them on averaging percentages. I thought it was a great film. Why? The story is good, Will Smith is great at playing the somewhat cynical hero with a sense of humour, and the cinematography is truly awesome (as I said before :}).

Second: White Noise.

Despite the special features that seem pro-E.V.P. (showing real E.V.P. sessions, the experts at work, and how to make your own E.V.P. recordings), this film actually showed the dangers of E.V.P. (Electronic Voice Phenomenon).
*Spoilers*
The star of this movie is Michael Keaton (a wonderful actor) who plays an architect who's wife goes missing after what looks like a car accident practically right after the movie starts. A few weeks later, a man comes to him saying that Keaton's wife is dead because she's been contacting him through E.V.P. Keaton is unsure of this at first, but then his wife tries to contact him through his cell phone, stereo, and radio; he gives in and soon becomes obsessed with making E.V.P. recordings, not fully knowing what he's getting himself into. He is contacted by other dead people (sounds weird and hokey, I know) but then discovers that some of them aren't dead yet, though are probably going to die. He then receives message from his wife, misreads them, and thinking he's doing the right thing ends up being killed by three demons (or supposed dead people from the other side) in the end.
Like I said, this movie truly shows the danger of E.V.P., and definitely shows that it's something not to get involved in.

Lastly: Constantine.

I know, this movie's been out of theatres for quite some time, but I've kept meaning to do a "review" on it and now I finally have the time.
I really liked this movie, despite its biblical inaccuracies, and would recommend it to the not-so-faint of heart (don't want to scare anybody...one never knows). It was very interesting that they made Gabriel to be a traitor to God by making a deal with the Devil's son (one of the points I didn't agree with, but thought it to be...different). But I did like how they portrayed Constantine as showing a lack of faith and purpose through the movie and then at the end he finds faith and purpose.
Unfortunately, I must end this "review" because of brain lapses...I should re-view this movie again before I make more comments...


Au Revoir and thanks for reading.

No comments: