4.6.05

The End of an Age

That may not quite fit, but seeing as our last book was LOTR and we had that fantastic party afterwards, I decided to say that and plus it does kind of feel like the end of an age.
I had a really good time at the banquet last night, and I actually almost cried a few times (to my surprise). But, I shall return to my original intent with this post, which is: my thoughts on this year and etc.

I have to start off with my favourite books and why, of course :}

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Why? Because it helped me to grasp the fundamentals of Christianity, allowing me to know what I believe in the simplest form.

Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis. Why? Because it allowed me to understand relativism (I believe that's what you'd call it) better and it helped me understand their odd viewpoint.

Descent Into Hell by Charles Williams. Why? Because I thought it was an extremely fantastic piece of fiction, and I loved trying to find all the hidden little messages in it...that was totally awesome.

Creed or Chaos? by Dorothy Sayers. Why? Even though it was quite repetitive, it did allow me to look at work, sin, and education differently and helped me to understand them and their purposes.

Mind of the Maker by Dorothy Sayers. Why? Although I got really sleepy during my reading of this book, I thought it was good. And even though it was confusing at times because Sayers would use an analogy to explain an analogy to explain the original analogy, it helped me to understand the trinity a little more (the trinity is one of the most confusing things to me...).

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Why? Do I need to say why? It is quite a thrilling story (though one has to trudge through a few details here and there...but in the end, they're all necessary) and gives insight into a few subjects (relationships, despair, power, and a few others).
P.S. It's much better on your second read...

I did not mention A Severe Mercy because even though I did like it, it wasn't one of my favourites; though I am sure that if I re-read it, I'll probably like it better.

Some of my favourite class discussions were on Charles Williams' books because they had so much in them to pick apart and understand...wow. And of course I liked our discussions on Lewis, Sayers, Vanauken (those were really good), and Tolkien (some good ones there too).

I have thoroughly enjoyed this year and am sincerely going to miss our wonderful discussions every Tuesday and Thursday (though I can't say I'll terribly miss the fiction precis'...I know they're the easiest---if you're good at summarizing---but I enjoyed the non-fiction ones better because it made one pick apart the subject and explore it more, hopefully allowing one to understand it better) and of course, I'll miss the great tutelage of Mr. A! You've truly helped me grow in my understanding of God, man, and other things, and I thank you so much!

Au Revoir.

No comments: