2.12.05

Predestination

No, not "predestination" as in Calvinism versus Arminiasm (concerning that, I've decided---until I've read Calvin's works---that I'm on Wesley's side) but of the predestination of love.

Do you (oh you two people who view my blog) think that there are such things as "soul mates"? People predestined to fall in love and be together?

As for me, I tend to believe that. I believe God created a soul mate for me, and me as a soul mate for that person. The tricky thing is to find that person...of course, we don't have to. If it's meant to be, God will (by some means...He
is God) bring that person into our lives. I guess it's up to us to recognize it. Hmm...I'll have to think a bit more on this subject.

Back to my original post (which I actually wrote this previous Sunday)...

Sometimes I ache greatly for my earthly prince to come...

But of course, he won't come for a while. And I must keep reminding myself that my real Prince is there, waiting for me...

I suppose I am a hopeless romantic. It's really depressing when a guy acts really interested in you and then loses that interest as you begin to realize it to yourself.

I've decided not to date so I shouldn't even be complaining, but it still feels depressing.

A lot of people are surprised and/or inquisitive when I tell them that I've decided not to date, so I'll explain my reasons here (mind you, I think of all these as equally important)---

1) I believe dating causes unnecessary pain and intimacy. Unless you're dating someone with the intention of marrying him or her (though I believe courtship is a lot better than dating if you have such intentions), you're just using your boyfriend or girlfriend to temporarily satisfy a desire for intimacy and a relationship. And when you break up, it's like tearing apart two pieces of paper that are glued together---both of you take a piece of each other's hearts that you so willingly shared.

2) I believe in courtship instead of dating, because it allows you to get to know a person in different situations (hanging out with the family, friends, etc.) and you are never tempted to do the wrong things as if you spent hours alone together. In courtship, the man who is interested in marrying a woman asks her father if he may; if the father concedes (after spending time with the man himself to see if he's up to the standards), then the man may start the process of courting (which consists of spending time to get to know each other on a platonic basis in family or friend settings---instead of being alone together most of the time).
I've obviously never tried this before, so I still have to hear someone explain the
whole process to me to refresh my memory, but in essence it should working better than dating.
I also believe in a long courtship but short engagement. I mean, look what happened to Dr. Jekyll! Lol, just kidding. But seriously, I think that's how it should be.

over and out

"Someday I'll find it, the rainbow connection
the lovers, the dreamers, and me"

"Life can only be understood by looking backward, but is must be lived by looking forward"
(Read Luke 9:62)

1 comment:

alhtheia said...

too true...

i love that song, btw ^_^